Popular Music sensation, producer, songwriter, singer and dancer, Augustine Miles Kelechi popularly known as Tekno Miles or Tekno is the next rated artist in Nigeria this year 2016. Agree or not? Well, let’s take a quick look at his achievements so far…
Early Beginnings Tekno hails from Ebonyi State and grew up in several parts of the country including Bauchi, Nassarawa, Kaduna and Abuja due to the fact that his father was a member of the Nigerian Army. One could say that he has been involved in music since childhood because he was enrolled in a music school at the tender age of 8 by his father where he learnt and mastered the rudiments of playing the piano and guitar. He is usually referred to as the ‘Golden boy of Africa’ or “The Chris Brown of Nigeria” because of the similar singer plus dance style he shares with the Black American singer, Chris Brown.
Career and Limelight In 2010, he was first signed under K-Money Entertainment under which he released his first single ‘Holiday’ with featured vocals from Davido. This song gained massive airplay and recognition in Nigeria. While in Abuja in June 2012, Julius Agwu, renowned Nigerian comedian spotted him after his standing ovation performance of “Onye ne kwu”, his remix of Ice Prince’s ‘Oleku’.
Here, he also met with Ubi Franklyn, CEO of Made Men Music Group also referred to as Triple MG and Iyanya and made friends with them. They encouraged him to move to Lagos and pursue his music career. Over a year later, on Oct 5th 2013, he signed a music contract with the Triple MG. Under this imprint, he dropped singles like Dance, Wash, Pana, Go Low, Jonzing and Anything(which made him a nominee for the ‘Best New Act of the Year at the 2014 NEA awards).
His biggest hit single and that which brought him to the limelight is ‘Duro’ which he released on June 8th 2015. This song rocked the airwaves in Nigeria and even in Africa, topping several billboard charts in Nigerian and the international scene. He later released a remix of Duro featuring Phyno and Flavour, produced by DJ Coublon.
On 20th Nov 2015, Tekno released another single titled ‘Wash’ produced also by DJ Coublon and the video was directed by the outstanding AJE films. Tekno, our very own Chris Brown seems to be taking after his look alike as he is receiving due recognition home and abroad for his music. He has also been nominated for awards such as:
• NEA awards 2014 for ‘Best New Act’
• 9th Nigeria Music Video Awards 2015 for ‘Best pop extra video which he won.
• 2016 NEA awards for ‘Hottest Single;Duro’, ‘Best Music Video of the Year’ and ‘Afro pop artiste of the Year’. Apart from his singles “Holiday’ ft Davido, Pana, Onyenekwu Remix and others, he has featured in other artiste’s songs like
• Pray For Me by Lynxx • Panya by Bracket
• Yudala by Triple MG alongside Iyanya, Selebobo, Baci
• Your Face by Natural bee and a whole lot of other songs. Surely, looking at his accomplishments since his debut in the music industry, you can agree with me that Tekno is a fast rising star and the next rated artiste in the Nigeria Industry this year 2016.
Though he is still upcoming in the ranks of Wizkid, Davido, Olamide and other young acts, he is bustling with real potentials that would be brought to reality in the coming years. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for him!